College Major Research Project
Part 1-Prepare for College Research Project--200 points (Due Date: Friday, April 20)
- Go to College Board’s Quick Start (you will find your login information in your college portfolio) and complete the Personality Test and Major Match (Print your results page as proof of completion).
- Choose a major that you plan on researching.
- Using that information, sign up to research a college that has that major one mhsavid.weebly.com on the Sophomore Blog page. You may work with one partner from you class period, or you may work alone.
Part 2- College Four Year Plan--200 points (Due Date: Friday, May 11)
- Find the course catalog for your college.
- Find out if your college is on the quarter or semester system. You also need to find out what your school considers a full load (generally 4 classes per quarter/semester).
- Research the General Education requirements for your school. These are the classes that all students must take regardless of major in order to graduate from that college.
- Research the major requirements (the classes needed to graduate with a specific major).
- Plan what order you would take all of your classes. Keep in mind that you have to fulfill a certain number of units to graduate. You may need to plan for elective units. You will turn in this plan using an Excel file. We will discuss the formatting and how to use the program in class.
Part 3- Research Paper and Presentation--200 Points Each (Due Date: Finals)
- You need to do a write-up on your research. Your essay needs to follow an expository essay format (introduction with a thesis, body paragraphs with evidence, conclusion).Your paper needs to answer the following questions:
- Which school and major did you eventually pick? Why did you pick that school and major.
- Which classes seemed the most interesting in the major? Which seemed the least interesting?
- What seems like the biggest challenge to completing this major? What seems like the biggest reward to completing this major?
- Given your research on your major and school, would you still want to follow this program of study?
- You will do a short PowerPoint presentation in class on the day of your final that reports on the above questions.